Monday, November 12, 2007

Hindu Gods – Disclaimer: Reader Discretion Advised

Before I start, this might be a little sensitive to some groups / religions, but this is purely MY point of view, and you are welcome to disagree or leave nasty comments :-P

Well, took off for the whole week of Diwali, was only working on Mon and Tues and took the rails to Kluang first thing Wed morn. Fun fun fun fun ;-) Food: Kluang Station’s roti bakar and coffee, chilli con carne, banana leaf rice, temple prasatham, quesadillas, beer, sparkling juice, nei urundai, cookies, murukku and chippi.. well the WORKS la ;-)
And the hampers of cos.

But more interesting was the temple visits – made 2 visits, one on Diwali morn and the other one was on Sat night – both diff temples. The one on Diwali morning looked exactly like a fashion show. It wasn’t like anyone was coming there to pray, it was like THE place (in that small town la), to see and be seen. And seriously, I find it totally dumb (for want of a better word) to pray to something (an image) that you yourself drew! I mean, come ON..

And at the second temple, my aunt was pointing out all the different gods, and it was absolutely AMAZING. Like there’s a god for this that and the other. Then there’s a god which will supposedly help couples conceive. Then there’s one with two million hands and legs. And another which is supposed to grant your wishes as long as its whispered in the ear. Holy Cow (pun not intended ;-)

Religion is all about faith and not images and what god can or cannot do for us. Its about how much WE love him and would like to dedicate our lives to him. Its like some Christians saying they love Jesus but doing everything that’s the direct opposite. I mean, I’m prob not putting it very well but you get the drift. That’s why I’d rather be a self-proclaimed agnostic – I believe in god but that’s all there is to it. I don’t have to do anything about it. I dunno, maybe some life changing experience will come alter my haughty / stupid / arrogant / selfish / whatever view/s, but til then, the world’s a great place to be when you’re 26 ;-) Right babe? *wink wink*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home