Sunday, December 28, 2008

"My daughter studied medicine in Canada"

Really, is there any need to trumpet out to every Tom, Dick and Harry how your auntie's neighbor's son's friend's second cousin twice removed has been / is / is going overseas?

I mean, I know you're proud of this second cousin twice removed, but please la. And some tale about him doing his Law degree in Oxford and graduating by 21 and doing his PhD in Harvard where the company pays for him to go do an interview in Spain for an hour? I mean, whatever happened to video-conferencing?

Not that thats enough - dont forget abt the fourth cousin once removed - she did her medicine in Canada. And the other who did his DISSERTATION (oooh big word, like i didnt know) in Texas with 3 professors interviewing him. And the dog who was chosen for a space project and the monkey who went in the submarine to look for Russia's underwater missiles! Ok ok.. just needed to let some steam off!

I mean, you know when something comes up in the conversation and this was added in as an example or to spice up the monologue etc, then its ok. Not just starting, sticking to, and closing with the same topic / person. It just makes people end up realising what a braggart you are. Even tho you mean well and you're really PROUD of this second cousin twice removed.

I mean, do you see me going around telling everyone I met that I'm from Oxford, Harvard, Yale AND Cambridge? Sheesh.. (ok not that i am la, but case in point).

Which reminds me - I told one of my colleagues that I was from Oxford for a joke, and we were all laughing abt it, a week later, another colleague asks me what I studied in Oxford!

We should all play that game - pass the message - and see how distorted something can get!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home